What Would You Have? -- II
Last month I enthralled readers (a few of them, anyway) with a list of movie items I wished I could have in real life. But I did more than merely share. I also challenged readers to submit their own ideas. A few brave souls took me up on this challenge, and here’s what they would have:
1. The living, bug-like typewriter from (David) Cronenberg's film adaptation of William Burroughs’ Naked Lunch. The bug-typewriter told him what to write, and had a slimy sexy quality to it as well. Maybe an updated beetle/laptop version...
2. The staff used by “Tim the Enchanter” to shoot flames and cause distant explosions (when not using his hands) in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
3. I guess my ultimate Bond gadget would be the laser-shooting pen from Never Say Never Again. It almost didn't work!
4. The three flesh-eating witches’ “magic eye” from Clash of the Titans. Like a crystal ball, but smaller/portable, and more magical powers, you know?
5. Speaking of Star Trek, how about the thing that heals people that Bones used in Star Trek IV, or was it V (the one with the whales). [NOTE: It was Star Trek IV]
6. Who needs a cloak when you can just have a ring? Despite its side effects on one's personality, I'd go with the ring from the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
7. The teleporter from The Fly. That's not really a vehicle is it? For obvious reasons, it would have to have some kind of bug sensor built in.
8. A Stepford Wife. Just kidding!
9. Utility belt from Batman.
10. The exploding fat woman head mask in Total Recall. You just never know when you can use one.
11. Go-Go's circular-saw-blade-in-a-steel-ball-on-a-chain weapon from Kill Bill, Vol. 1.
The “glaive” from Krull -- it's a way cool 5-pointed magical ninja throwing star that comes back like a boomerang.
The Little Cricket (the gun) from Men In Black.
Spaceballs the flamethrower (The kids love these) from Spaceballs.
Ruby slippers from The Wizard of Oz so I could disappear to home when I'm having a bad day!
January 1, 2010